Quick Menu


Saturday 21 July 2007

Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding


I was in a bookstore looking through some cookbooks and I chanced upon a recipe for a Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding. I've never made a self saucing pudding before so I was itching to try it out. Unfortunately, I didnt have any paper with me to surreptitiously jot the recipe down. So.... I came home, searched the web and found this recipe on recipe.org.au
It was fairly simple to make and even though my wife complains that I am too fixated with chocolate, she really did enjoy this dessert! I did too!!

The picture doesnt really do justice to the actual pudding but its really not a dessert for the eyes - its not a pretty cake - but it tastes just great!

This is the recipe

Ingredients

Pudding:
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup milk
60g melted butter
1 egg

Sauce:
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 ¼ cup boiling water

Method
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease a 1-litre ovenproof dish with butter.
Place the brown sugar in a large bowl. Sift the flour and cocoa over the sugar and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and egg and add to the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture into the greased dish and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface.

To make the sauce: Combine the sugar and cocoa together and sift evenly over the chocolate mixture in the dish. Gradually pour the boiling water evenly over the sugar and cocoa (Ensuring the cocoa powder/sugar has dissolved).

Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a cake-like topping forms on the surface and a skewer inserted halfway into the pudding centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes then serve warm with ice-cream!

Note: It was delicious even by itself. I'd probably add a little less water to make the sauce thicker.

No comments: