Quick Menu


Friday 3 August 2007

Stuffed Mushrooms



I usually like to use Portobello Mushrooms but its sometimes hard to find ones which have a decent cup that is not too flat once the stem is removed. You know, like a C-cup rather than an A-cup. Okay, Okay, I'll stop being naughty. But you get what I mean. More often than not, the Portobellos sold around here seem to be flattened somehow and dont have a nice cup, and so its really difficult to stuff them. I used Swiss Browns instead and these mushrooms have a nice cup once the stems are removed - only problem is the mushrooms are really small when compared against a Portobello. (I was going to say something here about whether 36As are better than 32Cs...... but I'll behave - Bad Boy. Bad Boy.)
Anyhoo.... back on to food...! This is one of my tried and tested and I sometimes make variations on the stuffing. Most times I add in some chopped chilli for a bit of zing but this time I opted to add some nuttiness with Pine nuts.

Ingredients
6-8 Portobello or 10 Swiss Brown Mushrooms.
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
Handful of Pine Nuts
100 g breadcrumbs
2 tsp ground black pepper
Salt
Olive Oil

Method
Remove stems from mushrooms and chop finely. Place the mushrooms, open side up, in a lightly oiled Pyrex dish or baking tray. Heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the black pepper, oregano and rosemary. Add in the garlic, onion and chilli and fry till fragrant. Add in pine nuts and continue frying. Add in the chopped mushroom stems and cook until tender. Add in the breadcrumbs and fry lightly.
Fill the mushroom caps with the mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes or till tender.

1 comment:

Elle said...

I can practically smell thse. Love the addition of pine nuts. Great combination of flavors and textures.