Quick Menu


Thursday 10 July 2008

Leeking Mushrooms


Fluellen: Your majesty says very true. If your majesties is remembered of it, the Welshmen did good service in a garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their Monmouth caps; which, your majesty know, to this hour is an honourable badge of the service; and I do believe, your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek upon Saint Tavy’s day.

King Henry: I wear it for a memorable honour; For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman

That is an excerpt from Act IV, Scene VII of William Shakespeare's King Henry V. Now I'm not Welsh, have never been to Monmouth let alone Wales but I do like my Leek.

Those of you familiar with this blog would know that I love mushrooms, in particular mushrooms that come from Monmouth in Wales. No, I jest. I just love mushrooms, regardless of where they come from. For the record, I've never ever had a Welsh mushroom, you know, never having been to Wales and all that...



Some time ago, I posted about my Leeking Garlic Prawns. This time its Leeking Mushrooms simply because I like the play on the word Leek! Related to the Garlic and the Onion, Leeks have a nice subtle flavour that doesn't overpower. Generally only the white and light green parts are eaten although sometimes I use the slightly darker parts as well. It still tastes good!

This is something that's really easy to throw together and doesn't really need a recipe. This is what I did though:

200g Swiss Brown mushrooms
2 leeks
3 cloves garlic
Black Pepper
Oregano
Basil
Olive Oil
Salt

Method
Quarter the mushrooms and clean the leek, slicing it thinly. Chop the garlic and sautee with oregano, basil and black pepper in a generous quantity of Olive Oil. Throw in the mushrooms and cook till tender. Add in the leeks and continue cooking, stirring well. Season with salt.


Very, very easy to do and a great accompaniment to any dish!

8 comments:

Naomi said...

Hi, oh, you should visit me for mushrooms!! I dont know what to do with them.
But visit my food blog for a chinese recipe with leeks. It is one of my favourites, I like it because of the mustard in the end. A fav in this house.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I love mushrooms, too. I'm going to leek some mushrooms as soon as I can. I think I'll add a squeeze or two of lemon juice, thyme, and oregano. Or maybe just some soy sauce for salt and flavor. Then it wouldn't be Welsh anymore. Hmm...we'll see.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

We just had marinated portobellas for dinner. Yes, I love mushrooms too and I like your play on Leeking!

giz said...

I have absolutely no idea what a swiss brown mushroom is but it looks alot like a cremini. I love anything mushroom.

David T. Macknet said...

Tell us: are leeks spicy on your end of the world? In California, the leek is essentially a vague, mildly onion-flavoured thing - not really worth using. Since we've come to the UK, though, we've found a totally different vegetable: spicy, fiery, won't leave your mouth no matter how long you brush your teeth. It's odd.

So: how are they for you?

Dharm said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments.
DaviMack - the Leeks we get over here are not very fiery but have a slight woody flavour as well as an onion type of flaovur. Then again, I suppose piquancy and spiciness vary - but I dont think ours are really very piquant or fiery...

Ruth Strong said...

I love mushrooms, and have been looking for new ways to cook with them, this might just be it!

Ruth Strong said...

Made this last night! Blogged it and all too!

Absolutely loved it. Great flavours all mixed together here.