Quick Menu


Sunday 25 January 2009

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Kung Hei Fatt Choy! - Cultural Exchange

Today is Chinese New Year Eve(CNY) and as Chinese around the world wait to usher in the Year of the Ox, it is no different here in multi-cultural Malaysia. Custom dictates that on New Years Eve, family from near and far and sometimes even very close friends will gather together for the Reunion Dinner. Before anyone 'tells me off' that friends are never invited to a reunion dinner, let me just say that I myself have attended a Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner - so there!

We are taking advantage of the CNY Holidays and inviting some friends over for dinner. In celebration of the Year of the Ox, I am cooking a Roast Beef among other things. All will be revealed in posts to come...

In the meanwhile, let me wish all my friends in Malaysia and the rest of the world a Blessed Chinese New Year filled with Health, Prosperity and all good things. It doesn't matter if you are Chinese or not, its always fun to celebrate everyone's festival. M

y wish for CNY is that people move beyond the colour of your skin and your ethnic backgrounds and simply embrace you for what you are. You.

Since I can at least pretend to speak Cantonese (which I really cant!) and cant even pretend with Mandarin, let me simply say...

Kung Hei Fatt Choy! Ang Pau Tau Loi! (yes, I know I'm ineligible for Ang Pau since I'm married!)

5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Very interesting Dhatrm. I will have to read more about it:D

Anonymous said...

Happy CNY! I just came back from a reunion dinner, so yeah, I agree with you that you don't have to be chinese, or related to one, to enjoy the celebrations! Cheers.

glamah16 said...

Happy Chinese New Year. Would love to see you post about your dinner.

Ivy said...

A celebration with friends would be a great idea. Shall be looking forward to your Beef roast recipe.

Naomi said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! We just remembered it. Its also Australia Day and Indian Independence apparently.