Quick Menu


Saturday 1 October 2011

Not the first Blogger MasterChef

So I didnt make the cut...

The semifinals were held this morning at the Cooking House in Desa Sri Hartamas. There were three judges - a lady from Astro (Azlina I think her name was - rather cute!) then there was KYspeaks - a reknowned food blogger and finally Chef Ryan - the resident chef at The Cooking House.

First up was a invention test where they gave a box full of stuff you could use. Main ingredient was chicken. I chose to make a Fusion Chilli Chicken and actually used up most of the ingredients in the box. Should have looked around and seen what else there was available before I rushed into deciding what to cook. I thought it tasted great but seeing some of the other dishes, I realised that what the judges were looking for was something unique and out of the box...

Still, in retrospect, with only 50 minutes to make the dish, I really don't know what I would have picked to make. Its really not so easy to decided what to cook when you have limited time.

Next up was a skills test - had to make Poached Eggs. First try was a disaster but the second one came up beautifully. Really, really beautifully.

Taking part in this has given me a whole new appreciation for MasterChef and Chopped and all the other cooking reality shows. It's really easy to be a MasterChef in your own kitchen but its a different story when under pressure and in a strange kitchen.

I think my invention skills let me down... still, lots of fun, met lots of people and as always learnt a few things. Kids were there with me and they liked my Fusion Chilli Chicken - so I'm still Their MasterChef!!

Thanks to all for the support!

7 comments:

Ms. Kong Piang: said...

I think it was a brave step to take on the challenge and I salute you. Well done PD.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I already know that you are master chef to your family and friends Dharm:D

Kathlynn said...

hey there! found your blog! nice meeting you. u really did well, just that competition was really intense...

lindaoff said...

Nice meeting you the other day bro!^_-

Mah@mahu said...

It ok bro... me to not go to the final but happy to meet the other blogger have interest in world of cuisines like u...

SawaNiLa said...

It was the best event i attend because i met friendly blogger who shares same interest....anw, i couldn't find sugar that day....

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Beautiful! What a very wonderful experience! I can't really imagine.

And always know you're a master chef in my book.